Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Nang Trang-being a tourist

I managed to sleep quite a bit of the 9 hour bus trip from HCMC to Nang Trang, but frequently woke from the sudden hard braking and fear every time we turned a corner at super speeds, convinced the bus was going to tip over.

I got to my hostel, Mojzo Inn at 7.30am and met an absolutely lovely couple from Cork. After about 5 mins of chatting we discovered that the woman was in the same class in secondary, as my boyfriend. When they say the world is small, it's no exaggeration.

While we waited for our rooms to be cleaned we had breakfast on the roof top terrace of the hostel, taking in the beautiful mountain views. Their room was ready before mine and they were kind enough to offer me the use of their shower, which was much appreciated after the night bus.

Nang Thrang is basically a party beach town. It wasn't my intention to stop there at all, but after the business and pollution of HCMC decided it was probably a good idea to get some fresh clean air. It was much bigger than I had expected, and alot more touristic. It could easily pass for a town in Majorca. Alot of Russian Tourists visit, even menus in restaurant have been translated to include Russian. They have free Visas to Vietnam, most likely because they helped them during the War, supplying the Viet Cong with weapons. I was also told Nang Thrang was a popular spot for the Russian Mafia to holiday in. I didn't confirm this with any of the Russians around mind you.

Although I felt that Nang Thrang is nothing too special, there is still plenty to do. In my dorm were three lovely English girls who, on my first day, invited me along to a day in a mud bath spa. Considering it was pouring rain within 3 hours of my arrival, it sounded like a very good option.It was my first time having a mud bath and it was alot of fun. There were also hot springs, waterfalls, and a swimming pool. All the water was warm, so even when it rained, it was nice.
That night I had my first big night out in Vietnam. The majority of the people in bars here are young backpackers. Beer is so cheap here, under a euro, if you're drinking local. Its a damn shame I hate beer. I veered towards cocktails, which are basically laced with liquor, and they give you free shots and drinks in almost every bar. I ended up playing Foosball against some locals, winning every time! While there are lots of pubs in Nang Trang, there were no real clubs, so dancing in the sort of dance floor of the 'Why Not?' Bar would have to suffice. 

The following day was spent slightly hungover, and on the beach. The rain had cleared up and the sunshine that Nang Trang is known for came through at last. While you constantly get hassled here to buy stuff off little old ladies with baskets, they are always quite polite, and not too annoying.

While in Nang Trang I also paid a trip to Vinpearl- Vietnam's version of Disneyland. You have to get, what is the longest over sea's cable car in the world, to get to the island which it was on. Pretty impressive, and its best not to talk about 'what if we fell?' scenarios whilst in it. The island is complete with water park, rides, aquarium, beach, water sports and circus. Child-like fun was had all around, but I also had the worst meal I've had so far, the Vietnamese do not to fast food well, at all. Rice and noodle dishes it is from now on. Aside from this experience, the food here really has been amazing. Pho Bo is my new favourite food, a beef noodle soup, which comes with vegetables and spicy sauces, you add in yourself to your own personal liking. I've been told the food of the North is even better, which is something to be excited about.

On my last day, I decided to check out the islands around Nang Trang and to do some Snorkeling. I got a boat, with some other tourists, which brought us to three different islands to snorkel around. The views on the way were beautiful, and the water beautiful and green. The sun was shining, and we were free to sit on the rooftop of the boat to sunbath as we drifted from place to place. The snorkeling itself was great too, I saw some beautiful fish and coral. It put me in the mood for diving, which I am saving for the Islands of Thailand.
Being Irish, and still being ghostly white compared to everyone else I seem to meet, meant I got burnt alive, despite my best efforts. To be white and pale here, is considered very beautiful to the locals. I've had Vietnamese women have stopped me to tell me how beautiful my skin is. Of course many of them know that its the opposite in Western societies, and that what I want is a tan. You have to be careful buying sunscreen and moisturisers here in case they have whiting agents in them.

That night I got a 12 hour bus trip to Hoi An.. long, and painful!!







No comments:

Post a Comment